Translate

Friday, December 2, 2011

Cd Carry Case

Look an original design! Wondering what my other grandmother could want for Christmas, I decided to make her some Cds. She has eye issues and I figure somewhere online I can find some books on Cd to download. But I didn't just want to hand her some lonely Cds. So... tada my Cd carry case. This would have looked so awesome felted. But I didn't have all wool yarn. I used scraps and made a circle increase. Oh how i hate the slip stitch line.
The case is 71/2 in wide and 7 in high with 2 in extra for the handle height. It's large enough to hold a Cd player and headphones and couple of Cds. Since she listens to books and not music I'm not worried about her having massive amounts of Cds to tote around. But you could line this and provide separate pockets. I may still add a small pocket to the inside to carry extra batteries It will probably just be a circular piece sewn to inside center.



I was originally thinking of something expandable with sleeves for the Cds. I did make the sides larger at the top then the bottom. I'm quite proud of how that came out. The lg section is a double crochet join and it goes to hdc, 2sc join and a reg sc join and then back up the other side.

The join is like your crocheting down the middle of the above stitches. it leaves a ridge like a reg sc join but I joined with right sides together and then turned right side out so you don't see the ridge. It's not terribly unsightly. I can imagine a project or 2 where I would want to leave it visible. So now all I have to do is find some content to download and I can strike another grandmother off my Christmas list.

Multi colored round Cd carry case

Scraps of yarn  - I used 8 different color scraps
Med to small ball of MC color for boarder, join, and handles
I* and H hook

* you don't have to use the I hook, I just began the project with that hook and realized it was larger then I wanted. The centers only (R1&2) were made with the larger hook in my version

Bobble stitch : (yo, insert hook in st, pull up lp, pull thru 2 lps) repeat 3 times total in same st, yo, pull thru 4 lps on hook

You will be using dc joining and sc foundation stitches- both can be found in tutorials online.

Also note my bag has a bit of buckle in it, probably too many increase rounds, you could try adding a sc only round somewhere  between 3 or 5. But there was also a suspicious yarn, the yellow was from my mom's stash and could well be older then me and god knows what its made of.

Pattern:

My version has a color change every row from R2 to R10

Front (make 2)
ch 4, join with sl st to form ring
R1: ch3 (yo, insert hook in ring and pull up lp, pull thru 2 lps on hook) twice - semi-bobble, yo pull thru 3 lps on hook, ch 3, (bobble in ring, ch 3)3 times, join with sl st in top of semi-bobble
R2: ch1, sc in same st, (5 sc in ch space, sc in bobble)3 times, 5 sc in last ch space, sl st in first sc to join
R3: ch 1, sc in same st, (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) around with 2 sc in last sc, sl st to join
R4: ch1, sc in same st and next , (2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st) around 2 sc in last st, sl st to join
R5: ch 1, sc in same st and next 2 st, (2 sc in nest st, sc in next 3 st) around 2 sc in last st, sl st to join
R6: ch 1, sc in same st and next 3, (2 sc in next st, sc in  next 4 st) around 2 sc in last st, sl st to join
R7 & R8: ch1, sc in every st around, sl st to join
R9: ch1, sc in same st and next 4, (2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 st) around 2 in last st, sl st to join
R10:(with MC) ch1, sc in every st around, sl st to join, fasten off

With right sides together you will need to mark off where your handle opening will be and mark each st change for the join.
Lining up both sides mark the same st at the top(12 o'clock), 11 st to the right was where my joining would start with marker 1. 5 st to marker 2, 10 st to marker 3. 10 st to marker 4, 10 st to marker 5, 10 st to marker 6, 10 st to marker 7, and 5 st to marker 8. It's very important to have your stitches from both pieces lined up. If for any reason there are extra st we would prefer those be under the handle.

Join MC with sl st in side 1 the first marked st, ch 2, dc in side 2 first st. Using dc joining method go back n forth from said 1 to 2 completing dc, when you reach marker you will switch to hdc, then 2 sc, then sc, then back up to 2 sc, hdc. and finally dc at each marker. fasten off

Handles:

You could crochet a single strap. 3 or 4 st wide as long as you desire and sew it into top of join on either side.

I preferred 2 handles.

from the original 12 o'clock marker , mark 9th st from center thru both sides, left and right of center. You should use 4 separate markers, as we will be crocheting each side separately.
Join with sl st in any st outside of marked area, ch1, sc in same st, sc around to first marker, you will be making 20 sc foundation stitches. (see mention of stitches above for links to tutorial), insert hook in bottom of last foundation ch, insert hook into first st past marker, you pull thru st and bottom of foundation ch, yo and pull thru 2 lps left on hook, sc around to 3rd marker for next handle, 20 sc foundation st, join as before to first st past 4th marker, sc around, sl st to join in first sc
ch1, sc in same st and each st around. (around sides and in sc over handles), sl st to join, fasten off

Make sure all your ends are hidden and you're done

This project would look so awesome felted that I'm tempted to go buy the wool just to see. Even small skeins would make a few of these to give as gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment