Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

Crochet Owl Apple Cover

Perhaps I'm confused but what is the purpose of the apple cover? As opposed to a plastic or insulated fabric lunchbox I don't see the granny square as a comparable method of bruise protection. But alas it is cute. Even if the apple cover looks like an apple, redundant camouflage you say. In my surfing I discovered the OWL apple cover. This makes sense to me. If only because my son's school mascot is an owl and I have plenty of white and red, his school colors, so this is a WIP. I'm told I need 3. Three teachers, and if I'm going there I might as well include the school psychologist. She has been a great help to my son as he adjusts to new situations at school. She works at several area school so I'm adjusting hers a little.
The original pattern, Crochet Owl Apple Cover is from the blog Petals to Picots by Kara.


















The owl's sit up well without the apple even. I thought about including a stress ball instead but my mother vetoed that ideal. I don't know but I'm guessing 25+ kids for 6 hours a day would cause me to need a stress ball. Oh well. I didn't go for the extra detailing on the wings of these and the button is a crocheted. The only alteration I made was to sew the top of the head together instead of the sc. for no other reason then I wanted to.




My 4th owl was altered to a Raven. The school is very supportive of our home team the Baltimore Ravens. And I've seen this particular staff member decked out in black and purple complete with jersey.

 The alterations include a triangular flap over the head. Instead of finishing off even, one side (12 st) are used to create  a point. The eyes are more oval and are joined to the beak only at the corners. After the white detail stitching is added the pointed end is brought over and attached just above the beak with slight overlap. I didn't stitch the top closed under the flap but you could. And the eyes are only sewn down by the center quarter of the eye. I liked the way the eye and beak looked as they sat a bit apart from the face.
That and it was a whole lot less sewing. The wings were detailed and the white buttons crocheted.
 A little shag, the gathered strings were added to the head and pulled slightly apart to look feathery. I tried loose strings on the ends like the owls but it looked funny. It turned out cute though. Now I'm off to buy stress balls errr I mean delicious apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment