Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

from the summer - Crochet Bun Covers

Wow I can't believe I forgot to post these. They all went into use I guess. Despite a search for the original inspiration site I am unable to locate it. I was sure I bookmarked it. While surfing I saw a page with a Mom relaying the woes of keeping her daughters hair up and out of the way during ballet class. Commercial products were too large for her delicate hair. So she made her own crochet bun cover. It was pretty simple and she based the design off a doily pattern she had. I made a few of my own because I thought this would be a great way to keep my long hair up for the summer. I loved them. My hair is fairly long now and always seems in the way. During the day I gathered my hair in a pony tail and secured it in one of my new covers. After experimenting I twisted my hair and used the bun cover, without a band or clip, and could wear it comfortably even over night and my hair was still secure, not in knots, and I didn't swallow any of it. Yes, it has happened that I've awakened choking on hair in my mouth.  I had made a few flowers during my indecision over a boarder for the Minnie Blanket and used these as tops to some of the bun covers. They are a little cute for me, pink flowers in my hair isn't really my thing but they would be adorable for some little girl and the styles could be almost endless. I wish to eventually get that booth/table somewhere to sell xmas stockings and other bits n bobs these would be great for that. Fast and easy to make but useful and cute.




You could sc the last row around a hair elastic, although you'd have to secure the bun first I'd think. I used a crochet chain but you could use ribbon, cord or a shoelace whatever works! Search 'crochet bun cover' there are a bunch of patterns out there now. But remember you can use almost any doily pattern or an crochet item such as a flower, leaf or spider for the top/center piece. I'm seeing a crochet spider over a web as a bun cover for Halloween. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment