Translate

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Boy's crochet camo hat with brim

 While I was searching for beads for owl beaks and purse attachments, of which I found neither, I did get one new skein of yarn . A cushy bunch of Red Heart super saver jumbo in camouflage. It's been jumping from hot to cold weather and I figured I'd pick this up because my youngest is crazy for anything camo these days. Pop still browses through Bass Pro Shop whenever he can and S. can go 2 or 3 days dressed in camo head to foot without re wearing the same item. This hat will be ready when the weather chills again.

 I used the Newsboy Cap Crochet Pattern from beginner-crochet-patterns.com. There is a full list of sizes and the hat worked up nicely with no problems.

As with anything sized Check Your Gauge! I made the adult hat. My 9 yr. old has a 22" head! But I was a bit large on gauge and went to an H hook to adjust. The hat fits perfect. Not too snug but big enough to cover his ears.
I did alter the brim. The pattern calls for dc increases all the way across the brim. It got a little too ruffly for me. I went with doubling the yarn to 2 strands held together and 3 rows of sc with mild increases on the second row. Being sure to bring each row back to the base line stitch and sl st twice to make the transitions from brim to hat smooth. It's thick without being totally stiff and just the right length. He's already set me to looking for fingerless gloves BUT only the thumb and first 2 fingers. I only hope if he becomes a sniper he at least joins the army first. At this point it's a little iffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment