Translate

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Crochet Hunter - Left4Dead

Back to school surprise gift for my son. Both boys are a little game crazy. They get it honestly though. I had made a minion pencil carrier that S. professed to love. But it never made it to school. This one might not either. Perhaps we'll just start a shelf of them to display his growing interests. So this one is video game based. The Left 4 Dead series is among the boys favorites. His favorite toon(?) is the Hunter. It would be an interesting Halloween costume choice if he were a bit older. I hesitated to make this with the possibility it would go to school and some teacher ask "what is that?" and my son answers. "yeah that's a zombie killer." Le Sigh. The school already thinks he is 'too involved' in video games. Perhaps if I left my boys run the streets so they could drink , do drugs, and become vandals or criminals they'd be more 'normal'. Normal is overrated and I shall back off this overworked topic. S comes to see what I'm doing as I blog about the diamond purse and I show him my latest creation and say, "Isn't it pretty?" S responds with, "everything you make is pretty ma." And so I feel the need to surprise him with something pretty awesome.



I followed the Minion pattern to start and then just changed color for the clothes. When you get to the head, change color and sc only in the back loops around except for the few in front. (neckline). Once the head is complete up to the rim you pick up the dark blue which I never cut and sc around the front loops. I stopped and turned at the open front (face) and turned the work. You add sc increases in the two front ends and after a few rows switch to dc in the back stitches. 4 then a sc row then 6 and so on to grow the back higher then the front.

Once the height is reached add two rows of sc stitches. sc back to center and align sides sc join down the center toward face front. I made one row of sc along the front to even out the edge around hoodie. The arms are a crochet I cord. There are videos on youtube if your unsure how to make one. Sl st join the hand color and ch and sl st back sl st in starting ch to make fingers/claws. The bands around the arms and legs were sewn on cord and now I don't know why I didn't just use thinner pieces of duct tape, which not only would have been easier I wouldn't worry about them staying in place.

The nose was a small puff stitch btw. sc up to the two center stitches,2 dc in stitch in row below without finishing off the stitch, meaning that last pull through it will gain you a loop with each stitch. 2 more dc in row below of next stitch, 5 loops on the hook yo and pull through all. continue sc around.
The flesh color is sealed to can using hot glue. I try to get the top chain stuck in place. It prevents the yarn from snagging. You could use white school glue to keep the top rim stiff but I'm not sure if it would hold it in place as well.

 I know the hood is supposed to cover the eyes, hence it has none. But the hood is high because its the lid of the 'can' and you open it be pulling the hood back. It's attached with a tiny bit of glue to the front rim of the lid but doesn't have to be. If S decides he likes it better with the hood pulled further forward I'll detach it. Possibly cover the yellow lid with "brain like" crochet covering?

No comments:

Post a Comment