Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

crochet hats

My youngest son's class was having a contest to help the girl scouts of the school. They were suppling the local college volunteers with winter weather items, toiletries, and small comforts for the homeless during the cold weather to come. They were to go out on Feb 1st and distribute these items to any apparent homeless that would take them. I decided that instead of a trip to the dollar store for junk like I was expecting others to do I would make beanie hats out of some of my larger scraps. But its after Feb 1st you say, yeah as common with this school we get a big pretty flyer telling us the min. amount of info and then never hear anything else about it. Apparntly it was the girls scouts providing the "party" for the winning class and I believe thier cause, the college fellows expected to walk around in the city at night among homeless persons didnt pan out. Which I only found out as I tried to track down to whom we were supposed to give our "donations" too. What I found was a teacher going through a very small box separating what could be used in classrooms (like baby wipes and hand sanatiser... really) and tossing "dollar store" hats and gloves into the lost and found (which they usually dole out to the kids) So ..... my hats.



 This was a good experience I learned serveral things. Like if you boarder the hat in slip stitches to add a row of color the hat doesn't stretch as much as the sc does. Or that a few decreases, which should be done in the dc row not the sc with make a baggy hat fit better. And That a few extra dc around rows before the stripes will  make the hat fit well over your ears instead of across.

This last hat was an experiment. A combination of dc and sl stitches done in the back st only as a rectangular piece. Then you slip stitch down the long end and you have a tube. I made an I cord and wove it through open chains on one end of the tube. Now you can wear this piece as a cowl (neck warmer) or pull the string tight and tie it in a bow at the top to wear as a hat. Its made from some soft dk weight yarn leftover from someone else making a baby blanket.

The other hats are red heart yarn. acrylic

No comments:

Post a Comment