Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Practice scarf - galaxy stitch

So my son wants ME to make him a scarf. My crochet was still packed away and I knew where these needles were and a ball of yarn that no one was using so I thought HEY I'll knit something. Now it's not that I can't knit its just that it takes more attention then I have to give. I prefer crochet. After I get the pattern down I can practically crochet in my sleep. Its relaxing, repetitive, and conducive to thinking about other stuff or nothing at all. Knitting is not. I crochet rather fast. after an hour of knitting I have 4 inches by 5in of slanted garter stitch. No, its not supposed to be slanted and damn I've dropped a stitch and I'll never find it. Gahhhh. Frog that. That is why I don't knit. Although I must remind myself by attempting a project every few years.

So I pull up hundreds of pictures of scarfs while my son sits at the PC next to me and he periodically shakes and/or nods his head at a picture. That goes well. I find a stitch I'm maybe interested in. The person is actually making a scarf using it in a tutorial. I watch. I haven't purchased the yarn for my son's scarf yet. It's special and I don't have anything worthy in my stash. So I have this ideal of a scarf for myself.  It is very long, thin, and multi colored. So I dig out my leftover bag of yarn balls and begin my scarf of many colors using this new stitch. The galaxy stitch is pretty looking from both sides, and provided you use similar weight yarn has a nice clean edge that doesn't require a boarder.  It is also dense. So here are pictures of my scarf.


The scarf is over 8ft long. It's often worn folded in half with the loose ends through the other end.
It is 7 galaxy stitches across. It's very warm. I have this big bag of balls of left over yarn. I really just began pulling out the medium and small balls and worked through the ball. There were 2 lighter weight yarns, they alter the gauge too much to use as is. So I unwound them took both ends together and crochet with it as a double strand till there was no more. An excellent project for getting rid of those tiny scraps of yarn. A friend called it my Doctor Who scarf.  I love the stitch and it would make a wonderful winter baby blanket but not quite what my son was looking for in his scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment