Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Jim's Woven crochet scarf - Plaid ish

My son wanted his scarf to be 1) red and black, 2)Long so he could toss an end over his shoulder (he demonstrates a hair shake and artfully tossing something over his shoulder... I know right.) , 3) it should have fringe, and 4) the only picture he was able to present me to give me an ideal was plaid.

I've seen plaid done in crochet. my mother made a throw that had rows chain stitched across the top of the blanket. But son, plaid has more colors shall we use white or gray? No , black and red. Hmm OK. I see this woven crochet. it's a lattice work of dc and spaces then you weave strands of yarn though the openings. That looks....interesting. I find at my local Walmart that they carry jack shit in the way of yarn anymore. Red heart has a brand there called Love..something. It's soft and will due for my son's fantastic scarf. His scarf is 7 in wide and really long. (a bit shorter then mine so about 71/2 ft) I alternated the length of the red and black sections in a pattern. And then used a larger hook to make a chain the length of the scarf and wove it through the opening. I alternated which bars the chains would go over and under as well. I think we may have achieved a better look if the chains had all been woven in the same pattern but my son loved the scarf as is!



I think it is pretty nifty too. I made him a hat to match. Slouchy beanie hats are all the rage. Mine was a combination that and a braids hat.
 It was meant to be worn with the wide ribbed (black) part around the top of your head to the bottom back, like a headband, with the back of the hat slouching down. My son flips the ribbed section inside ad pulls it down over his head. he must look like a target from above and I bet the double layer makes it really warm on his forehead. But he wears it so I'm HAPPY. Both pieces are nice and soft.
 
**edited 4/2015**
Hat strongly based on the All grown up striped slouch hat credited to Brea on the Moogly blog. The striping was different and the camel stitch (raised chain) was only done on the very last row before brim. There is also a tutorial on crocheting on a brim or ribbed cuff that is excellent in written and video form. I'm adding these notes after 2 yrs. because my son wears this hat daily in all weather and its time for a new one. I began this blog to keep all my crochet notes in one place and wouldn't you know I had to go digging for the specifics of this hat.
 
James' version Slouchy Hat
I hook
Magic circle, ch 3 to start each round, 12 dc, with a sl st to join each round.[1dc] x12 (12st)
[2dc] x12 (24st)
[1dc, 2dc] x12 (36st)
[2dc, 2dc] x12 (48st)
[3dc, 2dc] x 12 (60st)
[5dc, 2dc] x 10 (70st)
dc around for 8 rounds
camel stitch sc around
Add Brim/Cuff (ch9 to start, hdc in Back Loops in second ch from hook, 7 hdc in bl, sc2tog along brim, 8hdc bl, ch1 turn, repeat around, whip stitch first and last rows)
 
Stripes: 3 black, 2 red, 3 bl, 6 red. black brim
 
This makes a LARGE hat. James' head is 24"
Measurements were taken from the well used hat
End of 3rd black row across (hat folded flat as in last picture) - 5 1/4"
End of 6th black row  - 12"
Bottom of brim - 15 1/2"
2 rows dc 1"
brim top to bottom (8st + join) 2 1/2" 4 rows of hdc of brim (across) 1 5/8"
 
James has requested a Panda hat. Yes , yes white with black ears and a flip down brim with eye holes. He'll be 20 this year, sigh. check April 2015 for Panda hat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment