Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Crochet Book Cover - Tote

It looks so blue. The yarn looks like a cross between gun metal and teal. It's much darker then pic shows it to be. Inspired by my mother who reads constantly. Not that I'll ever get the nerve to give it to her, but it's designed with her in mind. I wanted something that could eliminate one more thing to carry when we went to the park. The book cover is not a set pattern so much as measured pieces.
I looked at lots of textured stitches for the body of this project. I didn't save the page and cant for the life of me remember what the stitch was called. I know you chained of your length in multiples of 3 and added 1. Then it was sc, ch 1, dc in same space, sk st  and repeat across. dc in turn ch, turn ch 1. That is the repeat line the actual first row was a bit different but I cant remember it. I'm slipping I normally  bookmark anything I'm even just trying out. HA! scratch that, suddenly I remember I hadn't cleared the browser history. Described only as "Stitch Pattern 1" It is an interesting stitch. BTW heads up for that site if you cant read something because its behind a banner highlight text n paste it to a word pad or something. The one piece section that makes the outside of the book cover measures 10" tall and 15" long. I used worsted weight yarn and an H hook. My starting chain was 34chs and the stitch is unusual enough to me that I couldn't count the rows afterwards and be sure of the count. (18 if I had to guess)  Measurements are based off an average Hardback book. The strap is one long pieces, with one join point. Its 3 sc repeated and then a sc along both edges. I finished the length and went down the side all the way to other end around end and down other side leaving a tail to join.

You could have the inside flaps that hold the book plain or matching the outside I was in the mood for something different. These are based of of Beth in Texas video tutorial for a Stained glass window  square. Mine is only 2 stacked not 4 to make the square. Once finished the 2 stack I added 2 rows of sc boarder to bring it up to size. That pieces of green in the center is a bookmark with 2 joined hearts.

 That is a piece of a dress that went on to better things like a purse lining I used the intact zipper and sewed the surrounding material into something that looked like a pencil case. This was sewn along the zipper edge that would peek out of the sleeve to a piece of plastic craft. The back edges were spot sewn to hold them in place. The plastic craft gives the piece better shape and allows you to slide the book cover under without bunching the zipper pocket. Also they remove so you can throw it in the wash if needed. So now there is a secure place to carry ID, cash or cards along with your book. I was going to add a key loop but it weighted the piece. Still keys could always be clipped to the handle.
After the sc that joins the main piece and the inside flaps there is a row of hdc in back loops only around all but the spine to cover edge of pages a bit when closed. I have yet to add a latch of some sort, probably a toggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment