Translate

Friday, September 12, 2014

Crochet Christmas - Starburst 'Hotpad' Pattern

 


I found this on While browsing a blog by Sew ritzy~titzy. I followed her link to Ravelry and the page for the Starburst Hotpad says its no longer available. But there is a link to an archive for CrochetMemories with the written pattern. Crochet Geek has a video for Crochet Orig
ami Motif that could be helpful as its assembly is a touch confusing at first. Basically you make five 2 round pieces and they combine to make the above starburst. IMO I wouldn't set a hot pot on top of this. The center is bulky. And its final measurement is 6 1/4" across. Not very big. It does however make an interesting Christmas...something. Center Piece base? tree topper? I'll get back to you. It was interesting to make. Crochet Geek made hers all one color so I'd like to leave a few hints for those experimenting with color.


Its a bit like the center of a granny square. The red is first with the white and green dcs around red chains. With the different colors my construction was a bit different. I crochet the white on two corners and joined the centers, then came down the other side and added the green on the opposite corners.


If I were to make this again, (and I almost frogged mine because of it) I'd make sure the inside petals, the white in this case, would be crochet on the wrong side of work. They flip over. I made sure both edgings were done on the right side and I think it would have looked better flipped. Shrug. Was it that noticeable? No. Did it still bug me? Yup. If this had been a gift or part of an assembled gift I would have changed it because the perfectionist in me wouldn't have allowed otherwise. Being the experiment it was I left it as is. And it really isn't a huge thing. So red center, right side up, green outer edges right side up, white center 'petals' crochet from wrong side.
I had a dk red sparkly yarn that I sc through the front loop on the wrong side of the white. I then made reverse sc along the green edge. At each white petal tip I ran the revsc through the red sc and the green center sc.



The tail from the white joined the first and last motif. Then I ran it to the center and stitches through the back of the sc to pull center together. I used the tail of the red trim to close the gap of the last petal neatly. It was easy and quick and I'm thinking of making it the topper to the granny square Christmas tree wall hanging I wanna make. It was inspired by the same blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment