Translate

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Yorkville Cowl - Chenille Novelty Yarn

Yorkville Cowl - Ravelry Pattern Page   Kriskrafter - Direct link to pattern on crafters site

Sheregal - My projects page on Ravelry

I love this pattern. Its an easy repetition to learn and works up pretty quickly. My first cowl was made with the clearance yarn I got at ACMoore. The yarn is made by Nicole and is called Basic II (chenille in tan and brown) One of those companies bought the other and there were plenty of posts out there on problems resulting from lack of customer service and product availability for a bit. I like ACMoore so I hope they worked that out. I paid 1$ for a 65yard skein. I since claimed the rest of what was on the clearance table in this color in hopes of completing another set or two.

 The lighting is strange in this pic but it shows the stitch texture. The next pic is better in terms of seeing the yarn color. My original concern with this yarn was it showed very little in terms of texture. You'll see a major difference in the regular worsted weight pieces. This was made with an I hook btw.
 
I liked the color blend of the original photos and made more cowls. They were made with scraps of worsted weight yarn. Most likely it was all redheart.
 
The dark rainbow colors really make this pop.
Yellow, orange, red, dark blue, purple, and green. This was made with a H hook and an I for the sc in backloops in the top and bottom of upper cuff. (The pattern says to not make these stitches too tight. To be sure I went up a hook for these rows) The cowl is 9" wide and 9" from tip to neck line.









This was made from left over yarn from some infant projects and are pastel versions of the rainbow. I used a variegated yarn and pulled solid colors from there. Mint, white, variegated, peach, baby pink, lilac, baby blue. This cowl was made with a J hook with those exception rows with a K. It is 10" wide and 9 1/2 " from tip to top. Ideally it would fit those of us with an extra chin. For that purpose in the future I would drop the whole top band and just add an edging after the triangular post section to shorten the neck. It is plenty wide enough and the stitch pattern has a lot of stretch to it so be careful not to make it too wide. I could wear the other two versions. I just don't like anything snug around my neck.

I'd like to try a 2 strand together version. And switch one strand color before the other so there is more color blend with maybe 3 to 4 complimentary colors. I'd prefer a lighter weight yarn for that but I suppose one could try a smaller hook size.

No comments:

Post a Comment