Translate

Friday, September 12, 2014

Simple crochet scarf and hat - Novelty yarn

So I went to the craft store and spent 4 hours looking through everything. I purchased supplies for the canvas tranfer project, odds n ends to finish up my celtic bag, and a few sale skiens of yarn. I had imagined myself finding a great deal on yarn to make atleast one blanket/lapghan for my sons teachers for christmas. I browsed through hopeful patterns but didn't want to settle on something before getting the yarn. My mistake. It would have been better to choose 1 or 2 patterns and have an ideal what yarn I was looking for. There was of course no fantastic deal. But a decent sale. Problem was I had no ideal what I wanted or how much yarn I'd need. Everything looked good. I've been drawn to varigated yarn but some patterns just wont work with it. In the end I did find a deal on a brand of yarn I didn't recognise. I got 5 65yd balls at $1 each and have made a scarf and hat set. One teacher down. Two to go, and a student teacher, and the school phycologist . And the therapist and the other pycologist. (well maybe not him)

So here is my Hat and scarf set. The yarn is a 'novilty' yarn of sorts. There is a worsted weight strand in a natural color thats a bit... fluffy. And a dk weight 3 ply in dark brown wrapped around the other. The yarn is just this side of bulky and shows no stitch texture. (well the ribbed stitch shows ok) So I found a simple patterns on ravelry for the scarf. And the hat is a rib stitch with one end gathered and the other folded up for a brim. I used a N (10mm) hook . The yarn is super soft and the set turned out well. I probly have enough for a second hat. I thought of making wrist warmers but I don't think even the simple design would look right in this yarn. There was a second the softness had me thinking I could use this myself. But I have hats and scarfs I never use so into the gift pile it goes.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment