Translate

Monday, November 3, 2014

Crochet Hot Pad Cover - Gel Pack

With the arm thing aching I was given a pouch of blue goo that you could heat in the microwave. Originally it was wrapped in a hand towel. It slipped and slid about. I was still in denial my affliction could possibly have anything to do with crochet. Since I was too cold by the window where my computer sits, I dragged my yarn out and made a cover for the lovey hot bag of goo. (I had another one to freeze too)
crochet button closure



The 'skin' side. One solid flat expanse

My lovely goo
I'd say this was specifically designed for the neck but it worked really well on my arm. I pulled one handle through the other and tucked it to keep it in place. Probly work as well that way on an ankle or knee. And you could always lay it flat. I didn't see much more then flat covers so I made my own.

I recommend using this pattern as a guide rather then set in stone directions. You could alter the design to fit any number of commercial gel packs or electric pads. The yarn I used was an old remnant of something between dk and worsted weight. The gauge is in the pattern but if your using Redheart #4 yarn you may have to go down a hook, depending on your tension or expect a slightly larger finished product. Not that much difference, but I'm giving exact measurements for my item. Just keep in mind no two projects will ever measure the same. I'd also like to say that I looked into heat transfer of materials. NOT direct heat as we all know acrylic melts. But thermal conductivity (Here is a chart if your curious) Air (gases) and insulation are low 0.035 - 0.024 while metals like aluminum are high 205.

Acrylic           0.2
Cotton            0.04
Cotton Wool  0.029
Wool, felt       0.07

So why does acrylic melt before cotton? Because it transfers heat faster. Annnnd it's a heating pad. So we want heat to easily move through it. Cleaning? Cotton is more absorbent so I think body oils (sweat) and stuff like Bengay with get in and stay in the piece. Where as acrylic with resist more stains. Am I worried that my heating cover will pill after repeated washings and look totally horrible? Um no. If when that happens I'll make another one. I was totally set to remake this in cotton until I looked into it. Everyone is so 'hot' to tell you certain things MUST be made in cotton. Make what you like and use what ya got.

Gel Pack Cover

H hook
worsted weight (acrylic! no really use what you like) yarn
2 buttons (or closure of your choice. my buttons were crochet from same yarn)

Gauge: 4" = 15 stitches and 15 rows of single crochet,

  ch 21, sc in second chain from hook, sc across to last st. 3sc. Working down the opposite side of your chain stitches (unworked front loops) sc across to last st, 3sc, join with slst in first sc. (44)

Round 2: sc in each st across to the center stitch of first grouping of 3sc, 3sc in center st, sc across to center stitch in 2nd grouping, 3 sc, sc in last stitch and slst in first sc to join (48)

Note: This was the last join I made until I reached the decreases at far end of project. Working in rounds made for a smoother piece. You may join each round if you prefer and may need to if your changing colors. Or at least join the row before the color change to prevent jogging. I simple took note of which end my tail was on at the join and ended with tail in same position.

Round 3 -20 sc around. (48 ish)

for round 21 you will create opening by chaining 22 and skipping 22 stitches. This will leave an opening that extends ALMOST to the sides of project. continue rounds crocheting next round in ch.

Round 22 - 42 sc around.
Round 43: 21 sc, sc3tog (decrease), 21sc, sc3tog, slst to join (44)

Your decreasing the 3 stitches on the ends. If you dont have 48 sc either 1) hold the work flat and find center of both sides, mark, sctog the stitch before, st, and stitch after. 2) x=stitch count for final round. x/2 - 3 = number of stitches to sc before 3sctog.

Round 44: 19 sc, sc3tog, 19sc, sc3tog, slst to join (40) or **center of 3 sc tog st will be sctog of previous round**

Use your preferred method for closing the end.  I sc 20 through both sides and FO. You could slst sides together or sew with a whip stitch. 

Join yarn to gap made in middle of piece (20 skipped st/ 20 chains) round 21 stitch before first skipped st. 20 sc (across gap), slst in st after last skipped st. FO

Join yarn to round 22, (20 chains - you will be coming from opposite direction.) Consider you button placement and mark with piece of yarn (stitch marker) where your button loop should be. dc to first st marker, ch 12, slst in same dc, dc across to next marker and repeat button loop, dc across to end. FO

**This will give you an overlap so pak is held securely inside cover**

Handles (make 2)
ch 51, sc in second ch from hook and across, ch1, turn sl st in each sc across. FO

Sew handles to ends. **I made sure mine where sewn with hangover on the side with opening just to be sure there were no bumps or seems on other side. **

Attach your buttons or favorite closure and your done. I can't recommend Velcro. Velcro and crochet don't get along well. Fiber envy.

My finished items measurements:
11 1/2" x 6"
Rounds 1 - 20 5"
Rounds 21- 44 6"
Handles are 12 1/2" long and 1/2" wide
Buttons measured 1" across placed 1 1/2" from inside edge of round 21 + sc edging

Feel free to ask questions. I'll answer when I see them.

Little Extra bit - My mother is never happy with anything. I've spoken before of items I've made her that never see the light of day again. Example. I recently made an tiny stuffed apple with tail bookmark while trying out a pattern. My mother lost her bit of fluff she jams in books and I gave it to her. I saw her the next day drop the book. The stuffed ie. heavier then fluff bookmark fell out and lost her place. She crumbled and tossed aside the apple bookmark. Sooo as my mother has back/neck issues and frequently gets stiff and or sore I thought the goo pak cover was the holy grail of homemade gifts to share with my mother. The yarn was gifted to me from her because she is ALLERGIC to it, which I didn't know until I couldn't stop myself from asking why she was using a towel to hold her goo pak in place. Such is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment