Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bag of Many Colors

I was interested in crocheting something similar to a stained glass design. I never found an afghan I was interested enough in to pursue a pattern. Then I was watching you tube videos and ran across a vid from Bethintx1. Her Stain Glass throw slide show shows her progression on a blanket that caught my attention. She purchased this pattern in a book, 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws edited by Bobbie Matela, published in 2007 by The Needlecraft Shop. ( Last seen on amazon for $6) The book was rather expensive when I looked it up and being made of many small pieces I didnt think I'd ever finish it. So what's a crafter to do. Recreate a panal as an experiment and see how it goes. The bold thick lines crochet across the tops I replaced with yarn sewn embrodery style with a craft needle and I made it up as I went along. I think it was the bright colors cantrasting against the black that drew me to this project. Once I completed a panel (yeah not enough attention span to make this into a throw) I did decide a bag would be perfect and my stained glass panal would be the front. The same colors in stripes across the back and diamond motif on the sides. The bag still needs it's long handles attached and I want to also line it. It turned out bigger then I intended which is ok because it wasnt really a hand bag. More like a bag to carry library books to and fro....or maybe carry about my next project. I'll have to remember to make side pockets for hooks and scissors. I have a graph and the pattern recorded...somewhere.

front "StainGlass" panel


back panel, stripes


Side and front
 Hmmm... perhaps taking pics of a black bag against a black chair wasnt a great ideal. I may decide to go over those sewn lines with a thicker crochet line. I was worried about keeping it straight but the sewn line will act as a great guide and base for stitches.
I'll decide before I line it definitly.

Bethintx1 did have another video on something like stained glass granny squares. They are worked in 4 small squares joined to make larger ones. Definitly would be one of those long range projects for me. But the effect is awsome. Stained Glass Window Square

No comments:

Post a Comment