Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Seth's Spiderman Blanket

*** Edit: Links for the pattern seem to have problems. Try Ravelry link for Star Blanket. The pattern I used was 12 points
My youngest son, Seth is a bit of a Spiderman fan. That means he has Spiderman cup n plate sets, bed sheets, wall decals, assorted pj's, t-shirts, and costumes complete with accessories and cartoons and movies. You still haven't begun to understand how much Spiderman junk we have. So for his birthday I was looking to make something for him spider related. I had a pattern  for a round ripple baby afghan I'd begun using extra yarn from 2 other projects, it's still "in progress". But it always struck me I could make a Halloween throw, like spider on a web that would look great from this pattern. But as I searched "crochet" and "spiderman" on the Internet the pics page from google showed a sort of web blanket in blue and red. There where allot of pics out there of completed projects of the spiderman blanket. All a bit different. If you want to make this project I suggest you search and take a look at every one's work. The blankets varied by color width difference mostly but some made dramatic differences and this was what I thought looked right. The original pattern was Round Ripple Baby Afghan of Lyn's Designs at Angelcrafts.(confusing link) Angelcrafts is a great source of patterns if you want to crochet for a cause and donate to your local hospital. After checking the link, there is posted a Spiderman Variation by Gail E (aka the 'Stitch 'n Frog') (dead link) using the original pattern. The pattern itself seems to have been moved but it is there in variations of 6 and 7 point star blankets and The spiderman blanket is written as the original pattern. I guess there was no sense in having it there twice just because the picture was different. Gail's color changes and my own are extremely close I will list mine and hers are written into the pattern. ( By the way this pattern was made for my own use. I'm just trying to give credit where its deserved. don't sue me, there is nothing to take)

Color pattern for rounds:  
First 5 rounds red
1 round black
4 rounds blue
1 round black
4 rounds blue
1 round black
3 rounds red
1 round black
4 rounds red
1 round black
5 rounds red
1 round black
4 rounds blue
1 round black
4 rounds blue

Very close huh. Well like I said it all depends on what you prefer. Her blanket lists 41 rows and mine 40, but the difference in yarn isn't enough to through the materials list off. And I used an H hook as well. I notice she added a last row of rev sc. I cant see the pic clearly enough to say if makes a difference to me. I will say it might make a cleaner edging even if it was a row of sc. The black lines blend well with sl st and only define the points a bit better. In my opinion that last round is totally up to the maker. The blanket worked up very quickly. I only stalled when it came to adding the black lines from edge to center. it was a bit tricky manipulating the blanket. I found it went fastest if I laid the blanket out on a table and worked over top of it. moving from outer edge to center. While the blanket itself was done way ahead of time I found myself hurrying the last day I to finish the lines. But it was well worth it. The blanket was a big success and is close by the sofa for all movie watching. And of course flung over my son's shoulders as he jumps from one piece of furniture to the next, in costume, wearing a web slinger on his arm.









Thought I'd show you Seth's Spiderman hat as well. This was a homemade gift from his Aunt Becca. She has had her blog for awhile and although she dabbles in all crafts her favortes seem to be knitting and sewing. You can find her at Knitfink on Live Journel where she shows her projects and has an online store where she sells her designs.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering... She seems very proud of her pattern, but doesn't do a good job trouble shooting. my corners are folding and cupping up as I go. I cut out the small shell as I find it cupped worse when I add the line of 1dc, 2sc, 1dc. instead I just always do 2dc, 2 sc, 2 dc and that cuts a lot of it out but it's still slightly cupping. Is there any advice you can offer having done the pattern yourself and since you seem to be such a talented crocheter :-)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Well I'm hoping you meant ch2 not 2sc. the difference in height of a dc and sc would explain the cupping. The row of 1dc, ch2, 1dc as opposed to 2dc, ch2, 2dc is the keep the "point" from rounding too much. I've added a new link at the top of the post for a pattern. The other links were deleted or moved. My blanket was 12 points. I hope this helps a bit.

      Delete