Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Leggins


It gets cold here in the corner by the computer. So my first finished piece to show are my leggins. done in black with a bright variegated yarn as accent. I used red heart worsted weight yarn and an H hook

I didn't have a set pattern. I measured my calf (MA), where the top of the leggin would be and around the arch of my foot (MB), where I wanted the bottom to be. If your intending to wear with shoes, then measure around your ankle. The top and bottom ribbing are made the same way. My ribbing is about 1 1/4 inch on both. Begin by ch. to your ribbing width (1 1/4 in) plus one more ch, sc ONLY in back loops across at end ch1 and turn, continue with sc across rows until piece is equal to MA. Note: each row is back loops only that's what gives the piece a ribbed look depending upon your yarn it can also stretch quite a bit you may want to subtract a bit from your MA measurement if you want the band tighter, you could even add elastic by doubling the width and folding over the elastic or I've seen laces woven through top of ribbing and tied to keep band in place. I like the slouchier look though.
When satisfied with band join with slip stitches joining all of first and last row to make loop. Sc around edge of band, one sc for each row. The rest of the leg is made of dc and sc done alternately in joined rounds. (ex. after row of sc in ends.row 2: ch 2, dc in next stitch, dc around joining with sl st in top of ch 2, row 3: sc in each st around, join with sl st in 1st sc, alternate rows 2 and 3) My leggin is 21 rows from sc in end st row to last sc row. Alternate color is 3 rows and the 2 bands of color are 4 rows apart.
My leggin also tappers slightly. I took the MA, top/calf measurement and subtracted the MB, lower/arch measurement. the difference was the number of decrease stitches I worked into a row half way down the leg. (ex. MA= 20 in, MB = 16 in, 20-16=4, In row 11 I decreased 4 times. A decrease is basically stitching 2 st into 1.  sc dec would be insert hook in st, yo, draw up loop, insert hook in next st , yo, draw up a loop. There are 3 loops on hook. yo and draw thru all three loops on hook. A dc dec is similar but with the extra loop in the begining)
If you have done the taper right when you end the leg you should have matcing stitches to your lower ribbing band( made the same as top but with MB measurement) Whip stitch the 2 pieces together and your done. If you prefer not to do the decrease you will have more stitches on the leg part then on the band, at pts around your band the whip stitching will not be st to st, thats perfectly fine and as long as you spread out where you st to on bottom band it will look great. It would still be 4 st your losing so at 4 equal spaces around band st 2 stitch to one on band.

No comments:

Post a Comment