Translate

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wrist warmers and matching long skinny scarf

Like I said It's chilly ova here. I was looking for something to keep my hands from cramping because of the cold while typing. I saw many patterns for wrist warmers but they all seemed a little...frilly. Big lacy stitches or wavy edging they just were not what I was looking for. Then there where the fingerless gloves with 3 pages of directions for shaping the glove and creating finger holes. Too much. Just wanted something over my knuckles and wrist with fingers free, I was tempted to start mutilating socks. I will mention I saw quite a few patterns for Knitting but I don't like to knit. Knitting makes me concentrate where crochet I get lost in the pattern sometimes not even realizing I'm counting stitches and often come back from my zone out to see hours have passed. I'd been working on some slipper socks lately and playing with ribbing and the compression of stitches and I figure all I need is a tube and a thumb slot, right?

This is what I came up with:



This is all one piece crochet long ways, with reduced (not decreased) stitches, and back loops along wrist end to get tighter slight ribbed effect. Then piece is folded over and slip stitched together leaving several stitches open for thumb hole. The top was finished off with sc around opening to clean up the look. Lower edge was left raw because it suited ribbed look.

The rest of this skein of yarn was dedicated to the scarf. Made of rows of dc and only 12 stitches wide with untrimmed edges this long skinny scarf has a unique look. The variegated yarn reminded me of falling leaves and autumn chill. This combo has kept me warm though and I've taken to wearing the wrist warmers while driving on cold mornings.


Full patterns coming soon!

edited to add patterns 10/27/11
Wrist Warmers
1 5 oz skein of worsted yarn (ex. shows variegated Super saver Red Heart yarn)

G hook

Gauge: 5 dc= 1 1/2 in ( 4 cm)  4 row of dc=2 1/2 in (6.5 cm)

ch 27

row1: dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc across, ch 1 turn (25)
row2: In back loops 6 sc, ch 1 dc in next 19 st through both loops, turn
row3: ch 3 (ch 3 will count as first dc from here on), 17 dc, yo insert hook in ch 1 of row 2, pull up loop, insert hook in back loop of 1st sc, pull up loop, yo pull through 3 loops, yo pull through remaining 2 loops, dc in back loops of remaining 5 sc, ch1 turn
row 4 - 14: repeat rows 2 and 3
Finishing: Match top and bottom together and join with sl st in first 5 st, sl st only in one side (top) for next 5 st, continue to sl st two sides together to bottom of ribbing.
Trim: I added a sc trim along the fingertip edge to give it a clean line look. I liked the bottom as it was. Beware adding a trim to bottom may effect tension of ribbing as the trimming st will lock st in place that where designed to stretch.

I'd say this was an adult large(14 rows). You can alter the size slightly by changing needles. But more effective might be to change number of rows. As long as you end with an even amount of rows to match ribbed pattern when joined. And you could always increase the length by increasing beginning chain.

I made a smaller pair for my son's Raven's football day at school in black  and purple with gold trim. He is 6. The chain was reduced to 18 instead of 27, there where 4 ribbing stitches instead of 6 and it was 12 rows in all.

Skinny Long Scarf

ch 15
row1:dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc across, turn (13), ch 3
repeat

My scarf is 102 rows long, after completing wrist warmers I added rows to scarf until skein ran out.


No comments:

Post a Comment